Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A drawing done using only narrow lines, without blocks of shading.
drawing, line drawing, illustration, picture, artist's impressionView synonyms
- ‘Writing is one means of communication, but presenting graphic material (photographs and line drawings) is another.’
- ‘I know she could feel the trembling there and she looked worried, then looked around at the table with its straps, across to where a line drawing of a dissected chimp was spread out across a desk.’
- ‘We transferred our line drawing of the acrobatic snowmen onto the linoleum's surface by placing a piece of carbon paper on the linoleum, laying our drawing on top, and tracing the lines with a pencil.’
- ‘It's a simple technique: put the carbon paper where you want your etch, take the line drawing, and use a pen to trace over it.’
- ‘In the patinated bronze sculpture Sleeping Muse, for example, he renders the image of Brancusi's sculpture of the same name as a freestanding line drawing.’
- ‘He mainly works in pen-and-ink, employing a combination of stippling and line drawing to achieve dramatic results.’
- ‘Then a single line drawing - not letting charcoal off the paper at all.’
- ‘Accompanying the text is a simple line drawing that shows a liquid being poured from a pitcher, with a portion defying gravity as it spills down the curved side of the vessel.’
- ‘After the students finished their black line drawing, I gave them permanent black markers to outline their drawings.’
- ‘The first is a monochrome line drawing, now in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, which accompanied the specification.’
- ‘Executed on large sheets of sheepskin parchment, each extraordinarily delicate ink line drawing illustrates one canto or section of Dante's poem.’
- ‘Three limpid watercolors reveal their development through a few washes applied to a pencil or ink line drawing, providing more graphic than chromatic complexity.’
- ‘A grid which follows them around as they move and starts off looking like a simple line drawing on three dimensional white paper.’
- ‘It should also be noted that the original line drawing of a longitudinal section of a female flower by Baillon was redrawn with unusual proportions in ovary and ovules exaggerated.’
- ‘Then in pencil, he draws the area to be changed using the original line drawing as an underlay.’
- ‘With the line drawing next to the metal, the students reproduced their design by pulling a semi-sharpened dowel rod across the metal.’
- ‘A languorous tale can be told with a page of text anchored by a sensitive line drawing.’
- ‘This is a line drawing that presents the calculus of change in a constantly shifting space.’
- ‘Characterized by a loose yet linear style, Lennon was inspired by the art of Oriental line drawing, endeavoring to create an evocative image quickly with as few lines as possible.’
- ‘The cover's line drawing of the Gotham skyline nicely announces the album's theme.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.