One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic organochlorine insecticide, now generally restricted in use owing to its toxicity and persistence in the environment.
An isomer of benzene hexachloride; chemical formula: C₆H₁₂CI₆Also called gamma-HCH
- ‘The researchers found levels of 14 polluting toxins, including dieldrin, lindane, dioxins and PCBs, all of which are known as organochlorines, which have the potential to trigger cancer in humans.’
- ‘Evidence for lindane's efficacy is relatively poor, and lindane is about 4-10 times more toxic than malathion.’
- ‘Insecticides used for seed treatments in crops include diazinon, lindane, imidacloprid, permethrin, chlorpyrifos, and tefluthrin.’
- ‘About 30 activists, from York Friends of the Earth, Unison and the Women's Environmental Network, were protesting over the use of lindane, claiming that it causes cancer, birth defects and damage to the nervous system.’
- ‘There is a significant body of evidence suggesting that where lindane is used extensively, the incidence of breast cancer is higher.’
- ‘An investigation by Britain's Pesticides Safety Directorate found lindane residues in three-quarters of chocolate samples on sale in British supermarkets.’
- ‘Aldicarb, aldrin, chlordane, DDT, dieldrin, lindane, mirex, PCBs, and toxaphene are present in all our country's ecosystems, animals, and humans.’
- ‘Whereas Health Canada has so far proven itself unable to regulate lead out of consumer products and has still not banned lindane, a pesticide that is known as an extremely potent carcinogen.’
- ‘However, lindane shampoo is used infrequently now because of concerns about neurotoxicity, resistance, and slow killing time.’
- ‘There was also lindane, and three times the average level of xylene, a car exhaust emission.’
- ‘Pesticides, such as DDT, atrazine, chlordane and lindane, and industrial by-products like dioxin, furans and PCBs, have been identified as endocrine disruptors.’
- ‘Some lice shampoos also contain lindane which, when inhaled, ingested or absorbed through the skin, causes vomiting and diarrhoea.’
- ‘The four most commonly found pesticide residues were lindane, DDT, malathion and chlorpyrifos, all of which could cause serious damage to the liver, kidney and the nervous system.’
- ‘DDT, dieldrin, lindane and other cancer-causing pesticides, many of them sprayed from airplanes, were not banned until 1989.’
- ‘In India, tests have found that the major soft drink brands contain four toxic chemicals: lindane, DDT, malathion and chlorpyrifos.’
- ‘The new annual report from the government's Pesticide Residues Committee also reveals that some samples of milk were contaminated with lindane, a deadly insecticide banned in Europe.’
- ‘These pesticides include the insecticides methyl parathion, lindane and DDT.’
- ‘Treatment is usually accomplished with permethrin creme rinse, but resistance to this agent, as well as to lindane, another antipediculosis medication, has been reported.’
- ‘Earlier this year a young child died after consuming a tiny amount of ant powder containing the pesticide lindane.’
- ‘Parents should consult their child's pediatrician or pediatric nurse practitioner about whether to use lindane or other preparations.’
1940s: named after Teunis van der Linden, 20th-century Dutch chemist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.