One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bright green woollen cloth originally made at Lincoln.
greenish, viridescentView synonyms
- ‘In Robin's world, each of his merry man is promised three suits of Lincoln green each year, along with a salary, venison, ‘sweet oaten cakes, and curds and honey’.’
- ‘Deciding whether to go with Lincoln green or Washington blue, that's an artistic choice.’
- ‘This Robin Hood is a real outlaw whose actions have consequences, not an imposter lounging lazily on the greensward and plucking venison, oat-cakes, and suits of Lincoln green off convenient trees.’
- ‘Symbolically, Leo wears Lincoln green (like Robin Hood), is teased by Marcus for being ‘green’, and is infatuated with Marian, Marcus' sister.’
- ‘Pure wool, fine wool felt, polyester, silk and waxed copper are dyed with colours such as red, black, orange, Lincoln green, dusky pink and China white.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.