Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wealthy liberal.‘even though all those limousine liberals didn't like Reagan, they didn't mind the fact that he'd been an actor’
- ‘Jackson is the opposite of a limousine liberal; his parents were so poor that they lived in a tool shed.’
- ‘Despite concerns that he is a limousine liberal, there seem to be few contradictions between his environmental image and his track record - a couple of peccadilloes aside.’
- ‘She's not just a limousine liberal; she's a Gulfstream liberal.’
- ‘Well you know, I am a limousine liberal, and I'm proud of it.’
- ‘On the other hand, Forrester will attempt to take the high ground on fiscal issues, portraying Corzine as the classic tax-and-spend limousine liberal.’
- ‘But you shouldn't think that integrated-relative which in America is the exclusive preserve of Ivy League limousine liberals and their social-climbing acolytes.’
- ‘Old-style Democrats like Johnson were not limousine liberals.’
- ‘Not to disenfranchise rich people who live in nice places, but in previous decades we'd dismiss somebody like Smiley as a limousine liberal.’
- ‘While posing as limousine liberals, most of today's movie stars have shirked their responsibility to come out of the closet.’
- ‘Forget limousine liberals, Crichton's new target is ‘Gulfstream environmentalists’.’
- ‘Less of Moore would be a career disaster; he would be just another cadaverous limousine liberal nibbling on his curly endive.’
- ‘And to have some limousine liberal tell me that I don't deserve tax relief or should be paying more than the 33% Federal and 9% state taxes I already do, is insulting.’
- ‘As you can see, the Deep stuff isn't all that deep, and it's pretty much what you would expect from your average limousine liberal.’
- ‘After the election, I read an article in which a famous actor criticized the supporters of the candidate, calling them limousine liberals of the worst kind, unconcerned with the poor.’
- ‘Jessica's conservative southern sensibilities clash with the Boyer's limousine liberal lifestyle.’
- ‘If limousine liberals want to pay higher taxes than the rest of us, then why not let them?’
- ‘While it may appeal to the upwardly mobile limousine liberals in his party there are, after all, plenty of anti-gay marriage Democratic voters - predominantly from the lower socioeconomic classes.’
- ‘But I fear that by crossing the Rubicon from political to partisan, the rock star has become a harder sell, easier to dismiss as a limousine liberal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.