One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A region and former province of central France, centred on Limoges.
1A native or inhabitant of Limousin.
2mass noun The French dialect of Limousin.
3An animal of a French breed of beef cattle.
- ‘Fourteen teams were fielded in front of Mr Young who finally drew up a shortlist of six comprising the Limousins, Simmentals, Charolais, Highland, Aberdeen Angus and Belgian Blue.’
- ‘Top honours in the commercial beef ring fell to Geoff Mellin, a retain butcher at Nelson, who keeps 15 Belgian Blue and Limousin breeding cattle for producing beef for sale in the shop.’
- ‘Any of the commonly used continental breeds would suffice for the scheme - Limousin, Charolais, Belgian Blue, Simmental.’
- ‘Joe and Deborah Green made 109p from a Limousin cross bull that they had bred and Martin and Jayne Brown of Folkton made the best price of the day at 111p per kilo.’
- ‘The Breed Societies (Charolais, Belgian Blue, Limousin, Simmental) and North Western Cattle Breeding Society at Sligo will supply breeding stock and their progeny to the venue.’
- ‘Entries have been particularly strong in the Limousin and Holstein cattle breeds and in the Texel and Suffolk sheep categories.’
- ‘The Limousin, Charolais and Simmental breeds can now give expected breeding values on their bulls.’
- ‘Other Cattle Breeds on show include Herefords, Simmentals, Charolais, Aberdeen Angus, Blonde D' Aquitaine, and Limousin.’
- ‘Breeds were selected based on the number of available bulls and included Angus, Red Angus, Simmental, Charolais, Hereford, Gelbvieh, and Limousin.’
- ‘The largest payment is believed to be £4.2 million, to Jim Goldie a farmer in Scotland who has lost all his pedigree Limousin and Charolais cattle.’
- ‘Placed at reserve was Geoff Mellin, a retail butcher at Nelson, Lancashire, who keeps 15 Belgian Blues and Limousin breeding cattle for producing beef for sale in the shop.’
- ‘Twenty-four steers of mixed breeding (i.e., primarily Angus breeding crossed with either Limousin, Hereford, or Simmental) were placed in early winter on a 10-ha pasture.’
- ‘In the inter-breed beef competition, his Simmental stood second to a Limousin from Co Antrim exhibitor, Bernard Mairs after a recount.’
- ‘There is a full selection of classes at the Show and Sale for both male and female, covering Charolais, Limousin, Belgian Blue and all the non-continental breeds, with a prize fund of up to 100 euro in each class.’
- ‘In the beef section there are classes for Simmentals, shorthorns, Limousin, Charolais, Hereford, Belgian Blue and Parthenaise Cattle.’
- ‘It was shown yesterday by Eileen Wilson who shows crossbred cattle in partnership with Mrs Orme who runs 10 pedigree Limousins.’
- ‘To produce more-healthful beef, researchers and breeders can also look to Limousin and Charolais cattle, which naturally have a strong genetic potential towards lean tissue.’
- ‘Also exhibited were Charolais, Simmental, Angus, Limousin and Hereford.’
- ‘There were 91 cattle to sell and the continental bulls made up to a top of 105p/kilo for a smart Limousin from Mrs Towse of Welham.’
- ‘There will also be the usual classes for Angus Hereford, Shorthorn, Limousin, Salers, Charolais, Belgian Blue with many classes in the cattle commercial section.’
Relating to the Limousins or their dialect.
- ‘It seems that he has been dumped with his uncles on a peasant homestead, with outside toilet, in the Limousin region of France, where things haven't changed since they burnt witches at the stake.’
- ‘A native of the Limousin region in France, Simone is content in her charming American farmhouse, but she still cooks like a French-woman, and many of her convivial meals reflect her heritage.’
- ‘The cinematography has been wildly overpraised, shot in high contrast black-and-white to remove all beauty and charm from the Limousin countryside.’
- ‘It was alleged that on 10 June 1944, as they headed north to counter the Allied invasion, they had massacred 642 inhabitants of the Limousin village of Oradour-sur-Glane by imprisoning them in the church and setting it alight.’
- ‘Councillor Wilf Davison attended a meeting of the 30 towns twinned with communities in the Limousin region of France.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.