One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A partner in a company or venture whose liability towards its debts is legally limited to the extent of their investment.
- ‘Up-front research is critical in determining a profitable return on investment since it is customary that a fund's limited partners don't weigh heavily on investment decisions once capital is committed.’
- ‘In recent years, this type of tax planning has been curtailed by ensuring that the capital allowances obtainable by a limited partner, or passive partner may not exceed his investment.’
- ‘There will be funds who will return money to their limited partners without having invested it.’
- ‘Private equity funds are essentially partnerships, and by investing in them, the endowments become limited partners.’
- ‘The limited partners are only liable to the extent of the assets they've contributed.’
- ‘Its members, which include general partners, limited partners, and associates, manage more than $4 billion in assets.’
- ‘To do the deal, the winner may have to buy out some of the team's limited partners.’
- ‘A limited partner in a horse venture cannot be a material participant.’
- ‘The children, in contrast, are usually designated limited partners with no voice.’
- ‘Another key benefit of the limited partnership, aside from the diminished liability of the limited partners and freedom of the general partner, is that it pays no income tax.’
- ‘He's far from the only general partner to treat limited partners as something subhuman.’
- ‘The limited partner interests owned by the family members are undesirable to creditors because creditors are typically prohibited from being admitted to the partnership as limited partners.’
- ‘The limited partner is only liable for the amount that he has agreed, by contract, to pay to the partnership.’
- ‘Defensive lineman Ray Childress is now a limited partner in the Texans' ownership group.’
- ‘I had called one of my limited partners to explain my departure from the fund.’
- ‘They have raised their funds by telling their limited partners what they intend to invest in.’
- ‘A corporate person may be a general partner or a limited partner.’
- ‘The forum assembles a powerful delegation of limited partners, private equity investors and industrial leaders from around the world.’
- ‘In a limited partnership, the limited partner is liable only to the extent of the money he has invested.’
- ‘The accountant should have verified that the information, or evidence of wrongdoing was correct, and insisted that the general partners notify the limited partners of the excess management fees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.