Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A hard sedimentary rock, composed mainly of calcium carbonate or dolomite, used as building material and in the making of cement.
- ‘In the Southern Central Iberian Zone there are minor acid volcanic rocks intercalated with Caradoc-Ashgill limestones.’
- ‘Thanks to the Grassington Festival I have learnt to build dry stone walls in limestone as he would have done.’
- ‘The unit consists of limestone or calcareous mudstone and was deposited in a fully marine environment.’
- ‘Sporadic outcrops of ophiolite lithologies are surrounded by shale and limestone.’
- ‘At Elephant Hill, the depositional facies below and above the palaeokarst include two major types: fenestral limestones and dark grey limestones.’
- ‘They are interbedded with bioturbated muddy and sandy limestones, quartz-skeletal siltstones and sandstones.’
- ‘Locally, near the village of Timirovo, the limestones are intercalated with arkosic sandstones.’
- ‘Everywhere sounded the drip of icewater, rubbing away at banded marble and rough limestone.’
- ‘Turkish and Italian limestone, for example, is harder than English limestone.’
- ‘Glaciers have deposited shale, slate, schist, and limestone throughout the region.’
- ‘Grotte Pere-Noel lies under woodland with a brown forest soil on Devonian limestones and dolomite.’
- ‘The limestone is highly fractured and contains abundant calcite and quartz veins.’
- ‘It was here they built their homestead of local stone and limestone carted in from further out on the run.’
- ‘In Jamaica, extensive bauxite deposits are found overlying limestone and dolomite.’
- ‘The limestones include dolomitic mudstones, wackestones, packstones and grainstones.’
- ‘They are mainly bioclastic limestones, containing abundant fossils and fossil fragments.’
- ‘The geology here is alternating layers of limestone and shale topped with millstone grit.’
- ‘Mylonitic limestones are particularly useful rocks for studying deformation mechanisms and fabrics in carbonate rocks.’
- ‘To the east is a range of hills with limestone and sandstone plateaux, and on the east bank of the Gulf of Suez is the Sinai desert.’
- ‘Geologists will thrill to the revelation of the layers of limestone, shale and sandstone.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.