One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hard sedimentary rock, composed mainly of calcium carbonate or dolomite, used as building material and in the making of cement.
- ‘They are interbedded with bioturbated muddy and sandy limestones, quartz-skeletal siltstones and sandstones.’
- ‘The unit consists of limestone or calcareous mudstone and was deposited in a fully marine environment.’
- ‘Mylonitic limestones are particularly useful rocks for studying deformation mechanisms and fabrics in carbonate rocks.’
- ‘Glaciers have deposited shale, slate, schist, and limestone throughout the region.’
- ‘The limestones include dolomitic mudstones, wackestones, packstones and grainstones.’
- ‘In Jamaica, extensive bauxite deposits are found overlying limestone and dolomite.’
- ‘Sporadic outcrops of ophiolite lithologies are surrounded by shale and limestone.’
- ‘Geologists will thrill to the revelation of the layers of limestone, shale and sandstone.’
- ‘Turkish and Italian limestone, for example, is harder than English limestone.’
- ‘At Elephant Hill, the depositional facies below and above the palaeokarst include two major types: fenestral limestones and dark grey limestones.’
- ‘In the Southern Central Iberian Zone there are minor acid volcanic rocks intercalated with Caradoc-Ashgill limestones.’
- ‘They are mainly bioclastic limestones, containing abundant fossils and fossil fragments.’
- ‘Locally, near the village of Timirovo, the limestones are intercalated with arkosic sandstones.’
- ‘It was here they built their homestead of local stone and limestone carted in from further out on the run.’
- ‘The geology here is alternating layers of limestone and shale topped with millstone grit.’
- ‘Everywhere sounded the drip of icewater, rubbing away at banded marble and rough limestone.’
- ‘Grotte Pere-Noel lies under woodland with a brown forest soil on Devonian limestones and dolomite.’
- ‘The limestone is highly fractured and contains abundant calcite and quartz veins.’
- ‘Thanks to the Grassington Festival I have learnt to build dry stone walls in limestone as he would have done.’
- ‘To the east is a range of hills with limestone and sandstone plateaux, and on the east bank of the Gulf of Suez is the Sinai desert.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.