One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A round floating leaf of a water lily.
- ‘By and by, the new dragonfly lighted happily on a lily pad to rest.’
- ‘The photo shows lily pads and pink waterlilies floating on the water.’
- ‘A bullfrog leaps into the water and lands on a lily pad.’
- ‘Is there anything you can recommend that won't be harmful to anything but the lily pads?’
- ‘I fall face first into the water to the growls and scare a two-foot alligator resting on a lily pad.’
- ‘There was a small pool with floating candles and lily pads before me.’
- ‘During the breeding season, reproductively active males establish territories around the underside of structures, such as snags, lily pads, and introduced nesting substrates.’
- ‘Snowy herons skimmed low over the water, and choruses of warbling frogs emanated from clusters of lily pads.’
- ‘Ponds that are home to water lilies and lily pads are also home to frogs and other amphibious creatures.’
- ‘The front plate depicts a heron on a field of lily pads and cattails.’
- ‘This is an adjustable, silver-plated ring with a plastic, magnifying dome that features a miniature photograph (taken by me) of lily pads.’
- ‘Following the creek eastwards from the ranch, it widens into a large but shallow wetland whose clear water is splashed with islands of lily pads and dense clusters of cat tails.’
- ‘It was pretty small, with a few lily pads and cattails scattered around.’
- ‘I went and cut the lily pads back as much as I could, especially the crisp brown ones.’
- ‘These lily pads will soon be gone, replaced by layers of ice and snow.’
- ‘After a bit of pulling from both ends, the hook came out, and I retrieved a large lily pad instead of a carp.’
- ‘A splash movement flitted out from under the lily pad and a streak of orange made its way to another.’
- ‘Although pennywort usually grows in shallow water, rooted in soil, it seems to do well just floating in our pond, with its round leaves resembling tiny water lily pads.’
- ‘Jade laughed and turned away, getting a closer look at the river plants and lily pads.’
- ‘There was a small waterfall at the end, and just a simple sprinkle of water shot up, allowing a constant flow of water droplets to fall on the lily pads and trickle into the water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.