- another term for guaiacum
- ‘Handles and other wooden components are mahogany lignum vitae, or fruit-wood rather than the beech typically used for tools.’
- ‘Look out for objects made of lignum vitae, a heavy rose-coloured hardwood, but shop around to get a sense of value before buying.’
- ‘It is also a very hard and heavy wood, even more so than lignum vitae, or ironwood.’
- ‘Closer scrutiny reveals that they are made of lignum vitae, an exotic West Indian hardwood characterized by occasional streaks of bright yellow.’
- ‘Wild orchids and the gorgeous purple national flower, lignum vitae, twine among the tangle of vines and the aerial ‘Old Man's Beard’ drips from telephone and power lines.’
Latin, ‘wood of life’.