Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in science fiction) a sword whose blade is in the form of a laser or powerful beam of light, as used by the Jedi knights in the Star Wars films.
- ‘All those explosions, laser beams and lightsabers in modern movies are created by computers, lots of them.’
- ‘I'm easily entertained though and giant robots wielding lightsabers and doing battle is cool.’
- ‘I think it's especially interesting how Luke's lightsabre changes color.’
- ‘Time slowed yet again as his wrist shot out a beam of purple electricity from his hand, creating a lightsabre of sorts out of his psychic energy.’
- ‘They open fire, but I scatter their blaster bolts with my lightsaber.’
- ‘You can opt to stick with the default, heavy defense single lightsaber.’
- ‘Obi-Wan uses the lightsaber he later wields against Vader on the Death Star.’
- ‘It reminds me of what Obi Wan said about the lightsabre - a more elegant weapon for a more civilised age.’
- ‘Similarly, the ability to play as a Jedi Knight complete with lightsaber and Force powers is very appealing.’
- ‘Shots ring out and lightsabres crackle.’
- ‘You begin the game with a single lightsaber and very little Force power.’
- ‘Yoda shows up to do battle with lightsabers.’
- ‘While the sound effects are not especially memorable they are authentic, from the beeps and pops of droids to the unmistakeable sound of lightsabres clashing.’
- ‘The designers looked at the old movies and gave us what we wanted: drama, humor, fighting, heroes and villains, and, most important, lightsabers.’
- ‘These are swords, not lightsabers.’
- ‘I've never seen so many lightsabres on the screen at the one time, and Yoda does finally get to see some action!’
- ‘It allows us to momentarily believe that lightsabers, light speed, and the Force are real.’
- ‘Players pick their character's race, gender, dress and even get to build their own lightsabre before embarking on increasingly difficult missions.’
- ‘Alas, a lightsabre is not included, nor the ability to chuck scenery at people by the power of thought alone.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.