One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tower or other structure containing a beacon light to warn or guide ships at sea.
beacon, pharos, phare, leading lightView synonyms
- ‘Old military buildings can be found near the lighthouse, remnants of the site's military importance during World War II.’
- ‘I will be adding additional lighthouses to the site as time and travel permit me to do so.’
- ‘Except for eight privately-owned towers, all but a handful of Maine's lighthouses now have local support groups.’
- ‘Our lighthouses are as diverse as our towns.’
- ‘I do not have an official listing of lighthouses in Newfoundland, but I have compiled a list of 37 of them.’
- ‘The students will work in cooperative groups to identify different characteristics and facts concerning lighthouses and their history.’
- ‘In 1995 an embarrassing conversation between a lighthouse and an aircraft carrier was recorded by the Chief of Naval Operations, the transcript of which leaked out to the general public.’
- ‘Today you can marvel in their beauty at the eleven state lighthouses open to the public.’
- ‘For more than 100 years, Wisconsin lighthouses have guided ships through our Great Lakes and inland waters.’
- ‘A listing of lighthouses in the National Park System can be found at the NPS Maritime Parks page.’
- ‘Boarding up the lighthouse, he moved his family and belongings into a new light station at the bottom of the hill.’
- ‘There are also many lighthouses on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan that you can easily see from your car but they are not open to the public.’
- ‘And because of dangerous sailing conditions and flat coastline in the region, the construction of a lighthouse was necessary.’
- ‘In the years since then, the Park Service has continued to keep the old lighthouse in operating condition in case its unromantic replacement ever breaks down.’
- ‘His sun-valve was fitted in a number of lighthouses powered by acetylene gas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.