One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The transference of cargo by means of a lighter.
- ‘They provide the Army's only amphibious lighterage service primarily for heavy, outsize or bulky equipment.’
- ‘The harbour is a lighterage port where ships are worked in stream buoys by means of lighters and pontoons for loading and offloading cargo.’
- ‘It also provides barge transportation, dredging support, and lighterage services for aggregate industries.’
- ‘Cargo is to be transferred off-shore from the ship 12 to the lighterage craft 14 without hull damage thereto, even under severe weather conditions.’
- ‘Plans should include the proposed location and layout of the area, the type of lighterage to be used, and the task organization needed to attain the desired tonnage capacity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.