[mass noun] The transference of cargo by means of a lighter.
- ‘Plans should include the proposed location and layout of the area, the type of lighterage to be used, and the task organization needed to attain the desired tonnage capacity.’
- ‘The harbour is a lighterage port where ships are worked in stream buoys by means of lighters and pontoons for loading and offloading cargo.’
- ‘It also provides barge transportation, dredging support, and lighterage services for aggregate industries.’
- ‘They provide the Army's only amphibious lighterage service primarily for heavy, outsize or bulky equipment.’
- ‘Cargo is to be transferred off-shore from the ship 12 to the lighterage craft 14 without hull damage thereto, even under severe weather conditions.’