One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A weight in amateur boxing ranging from 60 to 63.5 kg.
- ‘He may well move up to light welterweight, a tough division already populated by many other Britons as well as by world players.’
- ‘The vastly experienced Bulgarian has come down from light welterweight where he has won a good number of tournament medals.’
- ‘Maloney obviously thinks Roberts is going to be able to do quite a bit since he is touting him as one of the possible belt chances of the night in the light welterweight.’
- 1.1count noun A light welterweight boxer.
- ‘British and Commonwealth light welterweight champion Junior Witter closed in on a world title shot with a stunning second round win over Italy's Giuseppe Lauri in Derby.’
- ‘Tallaght's unbeaten Paul Hyland appears set to maintain his unbeaten run with a victory over Slovakia's Peter Feher, while Stephen Haughian from Lurgan meets English light welterweight, Daniel Thorpe.’
- ‘The 20-year-old light welterweight just keeps improving with every performance.’
- ‘I am going to target - and beat - the best light welterweights in the world.’
- ‘As his frame fills out he will find it increasingly hard to make the 10 stones required of a light welterweight.’
- ‘Light heavyweight Andre Ward and light welterweight Rock Allen also drew byes into the second round.’
- ‘Another round closed and already people were scratching their head trying to figure out what it would take for Brodie to dent Chi, who looked near enough a light welterweight on the night.’
- ‘The wise money will be slapped on the shaven head of Spadafora, but ideally Harris, a natural 140 lber, who has defeated some of the more competent light welterweight's around.’
- ‘The light welterweight won the British Amateur Championships last year and he has already beaten the Canadian and the Australian Commonwealth representatives, two of his main rivals for Manchester's medals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.