Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
phrasal verbNorth American
Depart hurriedly.‘he lit out for California to ‘find’ himself’
- ‘Janie then lit out of the house with her shotgun, telling Pa she was off to find Lyddie June.’
- ‘Just after his twentieth birthday, in 1916, Alves Reis lit out for the Portuguese colony of Angola to make his fortune.’
- ‘Two weeks ago they lit out again, this time to surrender.’
- ‘In 1975, the twenty year old Heimo Korth lit out for Alaska, built a fourteen by fourteen foot cabin, and married a native woman.’
- ‘I looked at Hanse and nodded and we lit out again.’
- ‘His memoir talks about how he gave up the life of a photographer in London and lit out for Paris and how I lit out after him.’
- ‘A bunch of us lit out from Maryland and headed down through the Allegheny Mountains to the southwest corner of West Virginia.’
- ‘Although I was wearing tennis shoes - a big ‘no-no’ when you're in snake country - I lit out at a full run behind a huge black snake I spotted.’
- ‘People have lit out after him and it just transforms the whole sport.’
- ‘After my assignation in the piney woods, I lit out and did not look back.’
- ‘He was the quintessential American: the Easterner who headed West, lighting out for the Territories, looking back over his shoulder only to make sure no one was following.’
- ‘MacAdams, a white poet and journalist from Texas who lit out for the cool of New York, is part of it too.’
- ‘We are a society of people who light out for the territory when problems come along.’
- ‘After breakfast he tries to get some exercise until about 10.15 am, then he reads newspapers, does crosswords and reads his books for the rest of the afternoon before dinner and lights out about 9pm.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.