One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
phrasal verbNorth American
Criticize severely; attack.‘he lit into him for his indiscretion’
scold, berate, upbraid, castigate, censure, condemn, lambaste, criticize, reprimand, rebuke, chide, reprove, admonish, harangue, take to task, lay into, rant at, rave at, rail at, revile, fulminate against, call over the coals, haul over the coalsassault, set upon, fall on, attack, assail, turn on, lash out at, round on, strike, beatView synonyms
- ‘The magazine gleefully lit into its competitors in its May 14 issue, but it makes its own share of blunders.’
- ‘One student said something to the effect of ‘everyone calm down’ and then Zack lit into that guy.’
- ‘But instead I sighed and got up and stepped into the fray to mediate, whereupon grandma entered and lit into me.’
- ‘He lit into the head of his National Security Forces.’
- ‘She made the mistake of looking up to make a cruel statement when Nicolette saw her face and lit in to her more.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.