Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between middleweight and heavyweight. In the amateur boxing scale it ranges from 75 to 81 kg.Also called cruiserweight
- ‘On April 22, 1903, Root defeated Charles ‘Kid’ McCoy to become the first light heavyweight champion, and the division has flourished ever since.’
- 1.1count noun A light heavyweight boxer or other competitor.
- ‘He has quickly built a national reputation as one of the most feared young light heavyweights in boxing.’
- ‘He has to be considered in an all time listing of great light heavyweights because of his longevity, and also because no one took the crown from him in the ring.’
- ‘It also served as a haven for out of shape light heavyweights that could not longer make weight.’
- ‘Walcott fought a number of other light heavyweights and heavyweights.’
- ‘I always found the spectacle of the light heavyweights to be intriguing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.