One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between middleweight and heavyweight. In the amateur boxing scale it ranges from 75 to 81 kg.Also called cruiserweight
- ‘On April 22, 1903, Root defeated Charles ‘Kid’ McCoy to become the first light heavyweight champion, and the division has flourished ever since.’
- 1.1count noun A light heavyweight boxer or other competitor.
- ‘It also served as a haven for out of shape light heavyweights that could not longer make weight.’
- ‘He has quickly built a national reputation as one of the most feared young light heavyweights in boxing.’
- ‘He has to be considered in an all time listing of great light heavyweights because of his longevity, and also because no one took the crown from him in the ring.’
- ‘Walcott fought a number of other light heavyweights and heavyweights.’
- ‘I always found the spectacle of the light heavyweights to be intriguing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.