Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A glass bulb inserted into a lamp or a socket in a ceiling, which provides light by passing an electric current through a filament or a pocket of inert gas.‘the watchman switched on an electric light bulb’
- ‘They have many compact fluorescent light bulbs in their home, but she's not completely sold.’
- ‘The platinum bulb worked, but platinum was far too expensive to use in commercial light bulbs.’
- ‘The initial cost of replacing incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs will be offset by longer-term savings, Prime Minister John Howard said today.’
- ‘Although this is optional, I highly recommend it because this helps make the light bulb less fragile.’
- ‘He has to research the history of the light bulb, the layout of the building, the different kinds of bulbs, etc.’
- ‘A U.S. Senate committee is working on a proposal that would phase out the light bulb in 10 years.’
- ‘The problem with incandescent light bulbs is that the heat wastes a lot of electricity.’
- ‘Adjust the voltage to the light bulb using the slider and observe the electric current through the bulb as plotted on the graph at right.’
- ‘Highly efficient fluorescent light bulbs are widely touted as environmentally friendly, but they have created a recycling headache for the Environmental Protection Agency and local governments.’
- ‘So to replace a traditional 60-watt bulb, look for a compact fluorescent light bulb that is about 15 watts.’
- ‘Familiarize yourself with the components of a modern light bulb using the diagram below.’
- ‘They provide the characteristic warm glow of incandescent light bulbs, making them suitable for any application in the house.’
- ‘The British Courts stood by their patent award for the light bulb to Swan, and Edison lost the suit.’
- ‘Incandescent and halogen light bulbs can fade colors if they are very close to the light source.’
- ‘Compact fluorescent light bulbs work best if they are left on for over 15 minutes each time they are turned on.’
- ‘Compact fluorescent light bulbs are available at your local lighting store, many hardware and home supply stores.’
- ‘The inefficient standard light bulb could be phased out within three years to save up to 800,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.’
- ‘Assembly Bill 1109 would require the state to set an energy-efficiency standard for light bulbs that Edison's nearly 130-year-old invention can't currently meet - but might in the future.’
- ‘From spotlights to flickering flame tips, we offer incandescent light bulbs for just about every application, including wall sconces, table lamps, chandeliers, and track lighting.’
- ‘It is also probably fair to say that Edison did produce the first commercially viable light bulb.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.