One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not having a serious attitude; frivolous.‘they thought him easy-going and light-minded’
giddy, silly, foolish, facetious, zany, light-hearted, merry, superficial, shallow, lacking seriousness, non-serious, whimsical, skittish, flighty, irresponsible, thoughtless, lacking in sense, feather-brained, empty-headed, pea-brained, birdbrained, vacuous, vapidView synonyms
- ‘The Spanish Ambassador, a reclusive and secretive man, whom I suspect is light-minded beneath a grave exterior, is very embarrassed by his role.’
- ‘Intimate behaviour between a couple was thought of as being light-minded and would be frowned upon by the elders.’
- ‘Even the intervention of the US Supreme Court was treated in a cynical and light-minded fashion, rather than as a turning point in American political history.’
- ‘We have not made any claims in a light-minded manner without serious analysis and examination of the facts.’
- ‘The initial response in the media was to treat the conflict in a completely light-minded fashion.’
- ‘Their attitude to politics is light-minded.’
- ‘Comments by the film's producer probably provide a better indication of the light-minded and superficial approach taken by many of those involved in the project.’
- ‘His work embodied an unpleasant brand of marketable and light-minded cynicism in the 1990s.’
- ‘A more light-minded woman than Anna Reynolds might have swooned at the romance of this troubled courtship.’
- ‘This light-minded and cynical attitude of the ruling elite towards its own legal norms is an international phenomenon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.