Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Light in colour or shade.‘use light-coloured nail enamel such as gold, cream, or white’
- ‘Detectives are also keen to speak to a woman driving a light-coloured car, which was leaving the cricket club car park at about 10 pm on Thursday.’
- ‘When last seen, she was wearing a brown, sequinned dress and yellow shoes and was carrying a light-coloured bag.’
- ‘He wore a dark blue tracksuit top with light-coloured trousers.’
- ‘Contrary to popular belief, most dark beers don't have appreciably more calories than light-colored brews.’
- ‘She was wearing a red shirt and light-coloured pants.’
- ‘The apartment complexes look better because they are built in a light-coloured stone. "’
- ‘Museums and galleries often use light-colored monochromatic walls as backdrops because they visually recede, allowing the art to dominate.’
- ‘Light-colored surfaces reflect most of the heat away from your home.’
- ‘The women were all in beautifully embroidered blouses, brightly coloured circle skirts, neat aprons, and kerchiefs holding their light-coloured hair back from their faces.’
- ‘Approached via raised brick beds and gravel, the front door opens onto a small entrance hall floored in light-coloured parquet.’
- ‘Also if you tend to wear light-coloured clothes, a dark cream can be a mistake, as it can rub off on your clothes.’
- ‘Also, women who are concerned with the size of their feet should stay away from light-colored shoes, which accentuate size.’
- ‘The Institute is connected to the former Methodist Church, built in 1918, whose light-coloured stone tower is an important local landmark.’
- ‘The raider was described as being white, aged about 25, about 5ft 5in tall, with short light-coloured hair.’
- ‘Overall, I like gentle food, light-coloured with soft fragrances and delicate flavours.’
- ‘Light-colored clothing is less attractive to mosquitoes than darker colors.’
- ‘While light-colored lettuce is a nutritional lightweight, dark leafy greens are packed with vitamins and high in calcium and magnesium.’
- ‘Chlorinated water also can give light-colored hair an unsightly green hue.’
- ‘Never wear dark hose with light-colored clothing or shoes.’
- ‘The light-colored furniture is bright enough to offset the darkness of the walls.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.