One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The hybrid offspring of a male lion and a tigress.Compare with tigon
- ‘A hybrid from a male lion and a female tiger is called a liger while a hybrid from a male tiger and a female lion is a tigon.’
- ‘Even when crossbreeding creates a viable hybrid, the offspring often inherits multiple copies of each parents' chromosomes, or sets of genes (see photos of ligers, hybrids of lions and tigers).’
- ‘We know that tigers and lions can produce hybrids called tigons and ligers, so it is likely that they are descended from the same original kind.’
- ‘The drive-through wildlife park is believed to have the country's largest concentration of ligers, housing ten of the massive cats.’
- ‘You learn what it's like to feed llamas, what a liger is (it's a cross between a lion and a tiger - totally sweet), the best way to ask out the hot girl in your class, and the best strategies for running for class president.’
1930s: blend of lion and tiger.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.