Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The hybrid offspring of a male lion and a tigress.Compare with tigon
- ‘Even when crossbreeding creates a viable hybrid, the offspring often inherits multiple copies of each parents' chromosomes, or sets of genes (see photos of ligers, hybrids of lions and tigers).’
- ‘A hybrid from a male lion and a female tiger is called a liger while a hybrid from a male tiger and a female lion is a tigon.’
- ‘You learn what it's like to feed llamas, what a liger is (it's a cross between a lion and a tiger - totally sweet), the best way to ask out the hot girl in your class, and the best strategies for running for class president.’
- ‘We know that tigers and lions can produce hybrids called tigons and ligers, so it is likely that they are descended from the same original kind.’
- ‘The drive-through wildlife park is believed to have the country's largest concentration of ligers, housing ten of the massive cats.’
1930s: blend of lion and tiger.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.