Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The hybrid offspring of a male lion and a tigress.Compare with tigon
- ‘The drive-through wildlife park is believed to have the country's largest concentration of ligers, housing ten of the massive cats.’
- ‘A hybrid from a male lion and a female tiger is called a liger while a hybrid from a male tiger and a female lion is a tigon.’
- ‘Even when crossbreeding creates a viable hybrid, the offspring often inherits multiple copies of each parents' chromosomes, or sets of genes (see photos of ligers, hybrids of lions and tigers).’
- ‘We know that tigers and lions can produce hybrids called tigons and ligers, so it is likely that they are descended from the same original kind.’
- ‘You learn what it's like to feed llamas, what a liger is (it's a cross between a lion and a tiger - totally sweet), the best way to ask out the hot girl in your class, and the best strategies for running for class president.’
1930s: blend of lion and tiger.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.