Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
All the immediate experiences, activities, and contacts that make up the world of an individual or corporate life.
- ‘You might want to consider it as a meta-ideology - a notion of when to apply analysis and abstracted reason to the lifeworld in which we interact and exist.’
- ‘Let me outline this in the form of two simple propositions: Modernity pluralizes the lifeworlds of individuals and consequently undermines all taken-for-granted certainties.’
- ‘The laying bare of the essential structures of the lifeworld would be what Husserl calls the ontology of the lifeworld.’
- ‘By the lifeworld we understand the shared common understandings, including values, that develop through face to face contacts over time in various social groups, from families to communities.’
- ‘But we also have the hermeneutical account of the everyday world of our own activities and individual things in our lifeworld, such as a workshop.’
1940s: translating German Lebenswelt.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.