Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
All the immediate experiences, activities, and contacts that make up the world of an individual or corporate life.
- ‘By the lifeworld we understand the shared common understandings, including values, that develop through face to face contacts over time in various social groups, from families to communities.’
- ‘Let me outline this in the form of two simple propositions: Modernity pluralizes the lifeworlds of individuals and consequently undermines all taken-for-granted certainties.’
- ‘But we also have the hermeneutical account of the everyday world of our own activities and individual things in our lifeworld, such as a workshop.’
- ‘The laying bare of the essential structures of the lifeworld would be what Husserl calls the ontology of the lifeworld.’
- ‘You might want to consider it as a meta-ideology - a notion of when to apply analysis and abstracted reason to the lifeworld in which we interact and exist.’
1940s: translating German Lebenswelt.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.