Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sciences concerned with the study of living organisms, including biology, botany, zoology, microbiology, physiology, biochemistry, and related subjects.Often contrasted with physical sciences
- ‘The mix of funding sources differs in significant ways for the social sciences versus the life sciences.’
- ‘Others continue their chemical education into graduate school in chemistry and life sciences.’
- ‘First, the number of women studying medicine and life sciences in postgraduate programs has risen significantly.’
- ‘Hence, physical sciences gravitate towards prescriptive laws, whilst life sciences use descriptive laws.’
- ‘Most offer degrees in law and the humanities and the social, health, and life sciences as well as engineering and the physical sciences.’
- ‘This site lists many useful sources for the life sciences, organized by topic.’
- ‘It was put forth as part of a broader effort to move the study of human behavior toward the life sciences.’
- ‘The life sciences and related technology, such as genetic engineering, could lead to better careers in the near future.’
- ‘It is understood that the university's reputation for medicine and life sciences could be a deciding factor in the firm's decision on the site for its new venture.’
- ‘The report also relayed concerns about the widening gap between support for physical sciences as compared to life sciences.’
- ‘This was to change his life and, after this experience, he gave up military research to concentrate on the ethics of science and later on life sciences.’
- ‘In July we have a science centre opening, which celebrates the life sciences.’
- ‘In all, ten experiments will be carried out during the 37th campaign, seven in physical sciences and three in life sciences.’
- ‘The university library has more than 10,000 books on a variety of subjects including encyclopedia, life sciences and world books.’
- ‘And physicists enjoy careers in engineering, chemistry, life sciences, and Earth sciences.’
- ‘Day 1 focuses on the contribution from scientists in physics, material science and life sciences.’
- ‘He and Elaine also established scholarships for varsity swimmers and for students studying the life sciences.’
- ‘Then consider how the future looks to three experts in information technology, life sciences, and alternative energy.’
- ‘It is a first-tier journal for new methods and significant improvements in life sciences and chemistry.’
- ‘However, it only took a few widely reported examples of misconduct in the life sciences for physicists to think that it was not their problem.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.