Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sleeveless buoyant or inflatable jacket for keeping a person afloat in water.
- ‘In 35% of the time, the person overboard was not wearing a life jacket.’
- ‘If your dog ever took a long walk off a short dock, chances are you've thought about the advantage of having your pooch in a life jacket.’
- ‘Whether or not technology can devise a life jacket that will be so comfortable or so stylish that one won't take it off even at home, I can't hazard a guess.’
- ‘While a belt pack is not going to be the only life jacket on our boat or in our closet, we feel strongly that it fills an important niche for boaters.’
- ‘A life jacket on your pet or not, we recommend that you think ahead about the animal's safety, not to mention your own, when a pet is aboard your boat or on the dock.’
- ‘When the ship began to sink, the franchisor left its charge afloat in turbulent waters, without a life jacket.’
- ‘But what happens when you combine an inflatable life jacket with a comfy lightweight vest and an all-season jacket?’
- ‘When I came to I was back in the boat, shivering in my wet life jacket and coughing up water, a lump forming on my pounding head.’
- ‘If he was 12 years old, and we were boating today in Illinois, he would be required to wear a life jacket while idling through a harbor.’
- ‘In your article in the May issue, you have an anecdote about a three-year-old boy who was saved because he was wearing a life jacket.’
- ‘Two crew members went overboard into the 58-degree water and only one had on an inflatable life jacket.’
- ‘So, admitting that paralysis would occur, it's still okay if you're wearing a life jacket because you would float face up?’
- ‘The only thing keeping him afloat was his life jacket.’
- ‘A belt pack can be a perfect transition into safer boating, especially for the boater who simply isn't in the habit of wearing a life jacket.’
- ‘This season I intend to wear my life jacket more often.’
- ‘The dog has a kennel in the officers' accommodation and a life jacket for trips in the sea boat.’
- ‘For example, if planners wish to find out how many powerboat operators in Oregon have taken a boating class or how many kayakers in Ohio wear a life jacket, it's in there.’
- ‘Only one of the boys was found wearing a life jacket.’
- ‘A pet life jacket will help your dog stay above water until rescued.’
- ‘‘Here you go,’ he said and handed me over a neoprene suit, a pair of boots, a helmet, a life jacket and a nylon jacket.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.