Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An innate desire for self-preservation, manifest in hunger, self-defensive aggression, and the sexual instincts.Compare with death instinct
- ‘This appears to be in contrast with the role of the life instinct and sublimation in the creative arts which aim to new expression, rather than a simple enactment of the perverse impulse.’
- ‘Sure, they keep on plugging along, but it's more trapped-animal life instinct than true will.’
- ‘Ordinarily of course, self-directed aggression conflicts with the life instinct, especially its self-preservative component, the animus.’
- ‘The death instinct unties the object relations, and the life instinct reties them.’
- ‘In his later writings, and in particular following his identification of a ‘death instinct’, Freud positioned the libido as the characteristic energy of the life instincts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.