Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- see fast lane
- ‘Her brother Steve said: ‘Despite her health problems she lived her life in the fast lane and was always laughing.’’
- ‘He said: ‘He lived life in the fast lane and was always upbeat and the biggest person in the crowd.’’
- ‘Yet despite the sub-zero temperatures and heavy, leaded skies almost touching the land, I reflected that Norfolk offered a meaningful and quite spiritual respite from life in the fast lane.’
- ‘When living life in the fast lane, there is rarely time to think about others, even if they are the ones who double our joys and share our sufferings.’
- ‘A good many people who live life in the fast lane for most of the year slow down and take it easy as December comes to an end, for they desire to spare some time for those loved ones living far away.’
- ‘Maybe he is making a cutting and slightly surreal film about life in the fast lane of a hard-working-but-slightly-bizarre IT department.’
- ‘He lived life in the fast lane and enjoyed the challenges he encountered, picking winners in the sales ring and watching them win races - and big races at that - when the time came to show their worth.’
- ‘Maybe it's the California lifestyle - life in the fast lane.’
- ‘When the Advertiser appeared in 1854, townspeople relied on true horsepower, putting your foot down meant being firm and there was no such thing as life in the fast lane.’
- ‘Living in Bridge of Weir in deepest, leafiest Renfrewshire allows 40-year-old Flynn to escape life in the fast lane.’
An exciting and eventful lifestyle, especially one bringing wealth and success.‘he's shunning life in the fast lane for the green grass of home’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.