One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A detection system which works on the principle of radar, but uses light from a laser.
- ‘The pulse energies in the solid-state laser can be higher since these lasers store energy longer and more efficiently than fiber lasers, and this higher power improves the performance of lidar and remote-sensing systems.’
- ‘Automotive manufacturers are looking at technologies that include radar and lidar to make such measurements, and could have the systems on the market within two or three years.’
- ‘The lidar's photodiodes receive and convert the reflected laser light into electrical signals.’
- ‘Any data that comes in 3 - D form, such as that from lidar, hyperspectral imaging, or MRI scans, can be displayed by the system.’
- ‘With the combination of GPS and inertial systems, and the use of a lidar (light detection and ranging) system, the plane's exact recording position and precise topographical data on the earth's surface can be ascertained.’
1960s: blend of light and radar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.