One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The series of letters or numbers identifying a vehicle, displayed on a licence plate; registration number.
- ‘Cars are only allowed to drive at certain times of the day depending on the license number, to cut back on traffic.’
- ‘The clerk informed his boss that the credit card was not valid, and the storeowner immediately contacted police to report the vehicle and license number.’
- ‘The driver of the pickup had fled the scene and witnesses did not get the license number.’
- ‘They automatically capture an image of the licence number of a speeding vehicle, from which the registered owner can be identified by a computer.’
- ‘Don't put your social security or driver's license number on your checks.’
- ‘All you need to get most amenities connected is a name, an address, a date of birth and a driver's licence number.’
- ‘Scores of municipalities nationally have begun using the technique, in which a camera with a radar device records a car's license number and speed.’
- ‘He left so nervously and noisily, a bystander outside the bank got the feeling something was wrong with this guy, and wrote down his license number and a description of his car.’
- ‘I got the license number and gave it to the police and my insurance company.’
- ‘In the capital Manila, activists have asked the city's three-million cellphone users to report the licence numbers of cars spewing black smoke.’
- ‘It turns out that many U.S. driver's license numbers aren't random at all, but contain embedded information about your name, etc.’
- ‘Any patrol officer in any state can easily and quickly check a driver's license number.’
- ‘Don't give out personal identifying information like your Social Security number, driver's license number or bank account number.’
- ‘He took down the license number of the Mercedes which was ultimately traced to the accused.’
- ‘What was the make, model and licence number of the car involved?’
- ‘On certain days of the week only cars with license numbers starting with an odd number were permitted across the bridge.’
- ‘I regret that neither of us was able to get the license number of the vehicle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.