One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A photographic image, used to illustrate a news or other story, that is not recent but was taken at an earlier time.‘there were only library pictures available at that point’‘the latest photograph is always preferable to a library picture’
- ‘The pictures attached are library pictures of a car we sympathetically restored two years ago.’
- ‘I suppose that the paper has just one library picture of a generic mosquito to cover any story.’
- ‘To try and tell a unique, individual story using a library picture can only reduce the impact of the story and sell the reader short.’
- ‘That plane is not a Gipsy Moth replica, it could have been a library picture taken earlier.’
- ‘Two days of hot summer weather and we'll be getting the usual warnings of global warming together with old BBC library pictures of the ice melting in the Antarctic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.