One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A photographic image, used to illustrate a news or other story, that is not recent but was taken at an earlier time.‘there were only library pictures available at that point’‘the latest photograph is always preferable to a library picture’
- ‘That plane is not a Gipsy Moth replica, it could have been a library picture taken earlier.’
- ‘To try and tell a unique, individual story using a library picture can only reduce the impact of the story and sell the reader short.’
- ‘Two days of hot summer weather and we'll be getting the usual warnings of global warming together with old BBC library pictures of the ice melting in the Antarctic.’
- ‘I suppose that the paper has just one library picture of a generic mosquito to cover any story.’
- ‘The pictures attached are library pictures of a car we sympathetically restored two years ago.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.