Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A woody climbing plant that hangs from trees, especially in tropical rainforests.
- ‘In reviewing the features of the leaves of the lianes it is seen that there are many characters common to them all.’
- ‘Once exposed to full sunlight at the top of the canopy, lianas often flower and fruit prolifically.’
- ‘Finally, this work represents part of a long-term research effort in which mechanical architectures are being investigated in terms of the evolution of architectures of trees, shrubs, lianas and procumbent growth forms.’
- ‘A liana climbs its host tree, called a trellis, by laying down a network of tendrils, spikes, and hooks.’
- ‘They are generally considered to be small, scrambling lianas or possibly shrubs.’
- ‘The results show no evidence of a bimodal distribution of vessel lengths as observed for lianas and several other species.’
- ‘Most representatives are lianas, while climbing shrubs and small trees can also be found.’
- ‘However, the sapwood of these Actinidia species, as with other lianas, is highly porous with large diameter vessels.’
- ‘Some of the leaves documented in this selection were from lianas grown in this way.’
- ‘Some of the larger woody lianas may exceed 3,000 feet in length.’
- ‘The leaves of the understory shrubs, lianas, and sapling trees bear the unmistakable signs of damage by hungry insects.’
- ‘When they reach the top of the canopy they often spread to other trees or wrap themselves around other lianas.’
- ‘Underneath a big tree are various other plants, shrubs, liane, and so on, forming an interacting ecological structure.’
- ‘Only 5% of the woods were identified as lianas, whereas 43% of the fruits and seeds have been.’
- ‘Throughout the homeland of the Penan, sago and rattan, palms, lianas, and fruit trees lie crushed on the forest floor.’
- ‘These features, and very different life forms ranging from trees and lianas to annuals, occur within closely related groups.’
- ‘It is interesting to note that some tropical lianes also grow and flower as shrubs in similar circumstances.’
- 1.1The free-hanging stem of a liana.
- ‘Tropical forest foragers fashion their own nets from lianas, and make belt pouches, baskets, and mats from grasses.’
- ‘There they climb into a series of wooden constructions three metres high, made with tree trunks lashed together with lianas like tree houses perched above the flood.’
- ‘The going was tough with tangled lianas and stubborn brambles clutching at my clothes.’
- ‘The window was blocked completely by a curtain of lianas, and Theo swore he could see a small monkey peering out at him.’
- ‘Bunched optical fibers and acrylic light ducts draped like lianas from the ceiling, pulsing with digital information.’
- ‘We spent the next day at another part of the concession, where the path was overgrown and the machete rang like a bell against the lianas.’
Late 18th century: from French liane clematis, liana, of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.