One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Leyland cypress.
- ‘Some trees, notably the infamous leylandii, can be pruned but are hard work due to the rate of their growth.’
- ‘Forget garden fences, extensions or leylandii - helipads are the new battleground for rowing neighbours.’
- ‘After officers met Mr Morgan on site, however, it was agreed the leylandii would be acceptable if their height could be regulated.’
- ‘It's the leylandii of the climbing world - avoid it, or your neighbours will soon be avoiding you.’
- ‘Let's face it, when it comes to obsessively hiding your property, isn't that what leylandii is for?’
- ‘Fast-growing shrubs, such as notorious leylandii, have sparked bitter court battles between neighbours and even led to murder.’
From the modern Latin taxonomic name.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.