One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A reduction in the number of white cells in the blood, typical of various diseases.
- ‘The hallmark laboratory features of the disease include leukopenia, thrombocytopenia and elevated liver transaminases.’
- ‘The manifestations of SIRS include fever, hypothermia, leukocytosis or leukopenia, tachycardia, and tachypnea.’
- ‘Instruct patients about potential symptoms of leukopenia and liver disease.’
- ‘With Lazarus, he published a book that dealt with normal blood and the appearance of blood cells in various pathologic states, including leukocytosis, leukopenia, leukemia, and anemia.’
- ‘Adverse effects of penicillamine include rash, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, hematuria, proteinuria, eosinophilia, elevated liver enzyme levels and nephrotoxicity.’
Late 19th century: from Greek leukos ‘white’ + penia ‘poverty’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.