Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An increase in the number of white cells in the blood, especially during an infection.
- ‘As an example, negativity of cultures does not preclude the possibility that this older woman with bilateral infiltrates, blood leukocytosis, and neutrophil lung infiltration had a lung infection.’
- ‘A complete blood count may reveal leukocytosis or thrombocytopenia.’
- ‘With Lazarus, he published a book that dealt with normal blood and the appearance of blood cells in various pathologic states, including leukocytosis, leukopenia, leukemia, and anemia.’
- ‘Antibiotics are only of proven efficacy when there is evidence for infection (fever, leukocytosis, change in chest X-ray).’
- ‘The manifestations of SIRS include fever, hypothermia, leukocytosis or leukopenia, tachycardia, and tachypnea.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.