One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An increase in the number of white cells in the blood, especially during an infection.
- ‘As an example, negativity of cultures does not preclude the possibility that this older woman with bilateral infiltrates, blood leukocytosis, and neutrophil lung infiltration had a lung infection.’
- ‘Antibiotics are only of proven efficacy when there is evidence for infection (fever, leukocytosis, change in chest X-ray).’
- ‘A complete blood count may reveal leukocytosis or thrombocytopenia.’
- ‘The manifestations of SIRS include fever, hypothermia, leukocytosis or leukopenia, tachycardia, and tachypnea.’
- ‘With Lazarus, he published a book that dealt with normal blood and the appearance of blood cells in various pathologic states, including leukocytosis, leukopenia, leukemia, and anemia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.