One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colourless cell which circulates in the blood and body fluids and is involved in counteracting foreign substances and disease; a white (blood) cell. There are several types, all amoeboid cells with a nucleus, including lymphocytes, granulocytes, and monocytes.
- ‘Immune cells or leukocytes circulate continuously from the blood, into various organs, and back into the blood.’
- ‘Reduction of leucocytes in red blood cell concentrates by filtration results in less alloimmunisation in patients receiving transfusions and transplants’
- ‘At baseline, levels of circulating leucocytes and vascular cell adhesion molecules were elevated in the sickle cell mice.’
- ‘Lymphocytes and granular leucocytes are also found in the stroma.’
- ‘Many of these are inflammatory cells, such as leukocytes and macrophages.’
- ‘This shows an infiltration of polymorphonuclear leukocytes with foci of necrosis, thrombosis, and hemorrhage.’
- ‘Some giant cells exhibited phagocytosis of mononuclear tumor cells and leukocytes such as lymphocytes and polymorphonuclear cells.’
- ‘This was due to increases in both polymorphonuclear leukocytes and macrophages.’
- ‘Mononuclear leukocytes consist of monocytes and lymphocytes.’
- ‘White blood cells (also called leukocytes or WBCs) help the body fight infections.’
- ‘For all these cases, hepatocytes were more immunoreactive than endothelial cells and leukocytes.’
- ‘The myeloid lineage gives rise to the rest of the white blood cells or leukocytes, which all derive from the bone marrow in adults.’
- ‘In some areas, polymorphonuclear leukocytes and eosinophils were intermingled with the small lymphocytes.’
- ‘Ehrlich had made a clear distinction between acidophil and basophil leukocytes.’
- ‘The epithelium covering the tonsils is extensively infiltrated by lymphocytes, plasma cells, and polymorphonuclear leucocytes.’
- ‘The injured or ruptured cells attract neutrophil leukocytes and activate alveolar macrophages, causing inflammation in the lung.’
- ‘White blood cells or leucocytes are complete cells because they contain a nucleus and other vital organelles.’
- ‘Finally, there were other techniques for separating red blood cells from leucocytes.’
- ‘Necrotic tissue, blood vessels, and leukocytes were excluded from the quantification process.’
- ‘It also stimulates the production and activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes and promotes adhesion of immune cells to the endothelium.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.