Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A colourless cell which circulates in the blood and body fluids and is involved in counteracting foreign substances and disease; a white (blood) cell. There are several types, all amoeboid cells with a nucleus, including lymphocytes, granulocytes, and monocytes.
- ‘Lymphocytes and granular leucocytes are also found in the stroma.’
- ‘This was due to increases in both polymorphonuclear leukocytes and macrophages.’
- ‘Ehrlich had made a clear distinction between acidophil and basophil leukocytes.’
- ‘Immune cells or leukocytes circulate continuously from the blood, into various organs, and back into the blood.’
- ‘At baseline, levels of circulating leucocytes and vascular cell adhesion molecules were elevated in the sickle cell mice.’
- ‘The epithelium covering the tonsils is extensively infiltrated by lymphocytes, plasma cells, and polymorphonuclear leucocytes.’
- ‘For all these cases, hepatocytes were more immunoreactive than endothelial cells and leukocytes.’
- ‘This shows an infiltration of polymorphonuclear leukocytes with foci of necrosis, thrombosis, and hemorrhage.’
- ‘It also stimulates the production and activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes and promotes adhesion of immune cells to the endothelium.’
- ‘White blood cells (also called leukocytes or WBCs) help the body fight infections.’
- ‘Some giant cells exhibited phagocytosis of mononuclear tumor cells and leukocytes such as lymphocytes and polymorphonuclear cells.’
- ‘Finally, there were other techniques for separating red blood cells from leucocytes.’
- ‘Mononuclear leukocytes consist of monocytes and lymphocytes.’
- ‘Necrotic tissue, blood vessels, and leukocytes were excluded from the quantification process.’
- ‘The injured or ruptured cells attract neutrophil leukocytes and activate alveolar macrophages, causing inflammation in the lung.’
- ‘The myeloid lineage gives rise to the rest of the white blood cells or leukocytes, which all derive from the bone marrow in adults.’
- ‘Reduction of leucocytes in red blood cell concentrates by filtration results in less alloimmunisation in patients receiving transfusions and transplants’
- ‘White blood cells or leucocytes are complete cells because they contain a nucleus and other vital organelles.’
- ‘In some areas, polymorphonuclear leukocytes and eosinophils were intermingled with the small lymphocytes.’
- ‘Many of these are inflammatory cells, such as leukocytes and macrophages.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.