Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A colourless cell which circulates in the blood and body fluids and is involved in counteracting foreign substances and disease; a white (blood) cell. There are several types, all amoeboid cells with a nucleus, including lymphocytes, granulocytes, and monocytes.
- ‘Lymphocytes and granular leucocytes are also found in the stroma.’
- ‘It also stimulates the production and activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes and promotes adhesion of immune cells to the endothelium.’
- ‘In some areas, polymorphonuclear leukocytes and eosinophils were intermingled with the small lymphocytes.’
- ‘The epithelium covering the tonsils is extensively infiltrated by lymphocytes, plasma cells, and polymorphonuclear leucocytes.’
- ‘The myeloid lineage gives rise to the rest of the white blood cells or leukocytes, which all derive from the bone marrow in adults.’
- ‘Immune cells or leukocytes circulate continuously from the blood, into various organs, and back into the blood.’
- ‘This was due to increases in both polymorphonuclear leukocytes and macrophages.’
- ‘Ehrlich had made a clear distinction between acidophil and basophil leukocytes.’
- ‘For all these cases, hepatocytes were more immunoreactive than endothelial cells and leukocytes.’
- ‘Many of these are inflammatory cells, such as leukocytes and macrophages.’
- ‘Necrotic tissue, blood vessels, and leukocytes were excluded from the quantification process.’
- ‘The injured or ruptured cells attract neutrophil leukocytes and activate alveolar macrophages, causing inflammation in the lung.’
- ‘White blood cells or leucocytes are complete cells because they contain a nucleus and other vital organelles.’
- ‘Some giant cells exhibited phagocytosis of mononuclear tumor cells and leukocytes such as lymphocytes and polymorphonuclear cells.’
- ‘Finally, there were other techniques for separating red blood cells from leucocytes.’
- ‘Reduction of leucocytes in red blood cell concentrates by filtration results in less alloimmunisation in patients receiving transfusions and transplants’
- ‘At baseline, levels of circulating leucocytes and vascular cell adhesion molecules were elevated in the sickle cell mice.’
- ‘White blood cells (also called leukocytes or WBCs) help the body fight infections.’
- ‘This shows an infiltration of polymorphonuclear leukocytes with foci of necrosis, thrombosis, and hemorrhage.’
- ‘Mononuclear leukocytes consist of monocytes and lymphocytes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.