Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A cultivated plant of the daisy family, with edible leaves that are eaten in salads.
- ‘In addition romaine lettuce, arugula and spinach are valuable.’
- ‘Other fruits and vegetables coming through the laboratory with diseases included figs, pears, quinces, raspberries, nectarines, cherries, onions, lettuces, corn, mung beans and pumpkins.’
- ‘Snap beans, turnips, leaf lettuce and spinach are also good candidates for fall harvest.’
- ‘I make salad with avocados, tomato, lettuce and spring onions, with an olive oil and red wine dressing.’
- ‘An almost bare-bones salad of romaine lettuce has a tongue-clacking blast of fresh anchovy dressing.’
- ‘At home we grow sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, garlic and leeks.’
- ‘I said that because of the condiments: the mustard and mayo, the lettuce, tomato and onion.’
- ‘By way of accompaniment, we roasted acorn squash and red peppers, sautéed red onions, and made a big salad of farmers' market lettuces and shaved fennel.’
- ‘In my family, when the lettuce is all gone, basil's not just an herb, it becomes our main leafy green.’
- ‘Add the lettuce and watercress and purée until smooth, about one minute.’
- ‘I plant hybrid tomatoes, but grow heirloom chick peas, fava beans, lettuce, and cucumbers (to list but a few).’
- ‘The romaine lettuce didn't feel right for this salad.’
- ‘In the vegetable garden early planting of lettuce, peas, radishes, carrots, parsley, onions and potatoes are equally important.’
- ‘The salad garden grows colorful lettuce, basil, tarragon and trellised peas.’
- ‘In the vegetable garden, carrots, spring onions, lettuce, spinach and radishes can all be planted.’
- ‘The Sardine salad with tomato, lettuce, cucumber and carrot mixed with olive oil and vinegar is a hit dish in the eatery.’
- ‘The carrots, cabbage, spinach, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and beetroot that are grown in the garden were initially used to feed 80 children once a week.’
- ‘In a small bowl, combine the lettuce, Upland Cress, balsamic vinegar, and grapeseed oil and toss to coat.’
- ‘Verlaine's chine was stuffed with leeks, spring onions, lettuce, raspberry leaves, parsley, thyme and marjoram.’
- ‘The crops of spring onions, lettuce and Chinese cabbage were given free to guests at a formal function to celebrate the event on Friday.’
- 1.1Used in names of other plants with edible green leaves, e.g. lamb's lettuce, sea lettuce.
- ‘An average dinner in our house is fish or baked chicken with lambs lettuce.’
- ‘I particularly liked the leaves of baby jem lettuce, the oven-roasted tomatoes and the black and green olives.’
- ‘It came with a sauce Gribiche (a thick egg mayo type version of the caper sauce) and a salad of tender lambs' lettuce with a subtle but still distinctively walnut oil vinaigrette.’
Middle English: from Old French letues, laitues, plural of laitue, from Latin lactuca, from lac, lact- milk (because of its milky juice).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.