Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The letters inscribed on something, especially decorative ones.‘the book was bound in dark blue with gold lettering’
- ‘It's printed in a really charming block letter font, as if it were done by hand, with different little flowers amidst the lettering.’
- ‘On the driver's side panel, the Crencent's logo was clearly visible and the the name of the car was spread out nicely across the hood in midnight blue lettering.’
- ‘His scientific instruments are characterised by their stylish lettering and decoration.’
- ‘Illuminated switches also can use the PVD process as the lettering is laser etched into the surface toward the end of the procedure.’
- ‘Even the color of the lettering can flex to the demands of different products.’
- ‘The other he held, fingering the lettering on its cover as he whispered.’
- ‘Silently, I read the curvy lettering along the paper.’
- ‘He uncrossed his arms, showing the lettering on his white shirt.’
- ‘Slowly she read the lettering on the tickets and then looked up, her face showing her surprise.’
- ‘One specific comment, though, is that you should change the color of the lettering in the left-hand column on the main page.’
- ‘He stopped occasionally and stared at the bold red lettering over the navy blue background.’
- ‘Inside she found two items, one of which was a disk labelled with Cyrillic lettering.’
- ‘My eyelids fluttered open the next morning to see the black binding and gold lettering of my new Shakespeare book.’
- ‘"Happy 90th Birthday, " they said in gold, embossed lettering.’
- ‘It was silver with a gold border and black lettering.’
- ‘Then he saw the bold white lettering on the helmet.’
- ‘The books she had bought on the subject hadn't helped her much at all, regardless of what the gold stars and bright lettering on their covers had promised.’
- ‘Only the Cyrillic lettering would lead you to think you were anywhere but Las Vegas.’
- ‘A few students will develop drawings and sketches or fancy lettering to sell.’
- ‘The script is extremely fine, with the black lettering edged in gold.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.