One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Seek to give someone bad news in a way that avoids causing them too much distress.‘she was content for him to take his time and let Celeste down gently’
- ‘Rather than letting Nicole down gently, it would only serve to raise her hopes even higher.’
- ‘I didn't want anyone to get hurt, so I tried to let her down gently.’
- ‘His editor let him down gently and swiftly changed the subject.’
- ‘Sophie called and let me down gently but I still wanted to scratch out her eyes.’
- ‘I had let him down gently and quietly so that the word wouldn't get to George.’
- ‘Is there a good way to let someone down gently when you're not interested?’
- ‘She told me it would never happen between us, and she didn't let me down gently.’
- ‘Sure, he's broken a bunch of hearts, but he's always let them down gently.’
- ‘All the director can do is let you down gently, which he does.’
- ‘I think he was trying to let me down gently.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.