1[attributive] Not so great or important as the other or the rest:‘he was convicted of a lesser assault charge’‘they nest mostly in Alaska and to a lesser extent in Siberia’less important, minor, secondary, subsidiary, marginal, ancillary, auxiliary, supplementary, supplemental, peripheralView synonyms
- 1.1 Lower in rank or quality:‘you're looking down your nose at us lesser mortals’
subordinate, minor, inferior, second-class, subservient, lowly, humble, servile, menial, meanView synonyms
- ‘Instead, it's how they deal with the stuff that would sink a far lesser talent.’
- ‘He showed no signs of jet lag, again something lesser mortals complain of.’
- ‘Perhaps lesser mortals in this field should wait for the hearings?’
- 1.2 Used in names of animals and plants which are smaller than similar kinds, e.g. lesser spotted woodpecker, lesser celandine.
- 1.1 Lower in rank or quality:
Middle English: a double comparative, from less + -er.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.