Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who studies or collects butterflies and moths.
- ‘Some lepidopterists believe that the Xerces Blue was the same species as Silvery Blue.’
- ‘It could be likened to the specialised needs of a lepidopterist researching the markings of a species of butterflies to be found only in Borneo.’
- ‘‘Butterflies’ relates the story of a lepidopterist who has sought a visa to enter the United States.’
- ‘Although I am a lepidopterist, not a visual ecologist, I am often asked just what colors in flowers best attract butterflies.’
- ‘A rare comma butterfly was spotted in the garden in Grassington of lepidopterist James Birdsall.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.