Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An order of insects that comprises the butterflies and moths. They have four large scale-covered wings that bear distinctive markings, and larvae that are caterpillars.
- ‘The most speciose insect orders like the Coleoptera, Diptera and Lepidoptera (moths and butterflies) tend to have small genome sizes with very few or no exceptions.’
- ‘Both of these insects reside in the order Lepidoptera.’
- ‘The insect order Lepidoptera, with as many as 100,000 species, is second only to the Coleoptera, the beetles.’
- ‘Butterflies and moths make up the biological order Lepidoptera.’
- ‘The species of insects studied prior to this study were from 11 orders, but the vast majority were from four orders: Lepidoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera, and Hemiptera.’
- 1.1Insects of the order Lepidoptera.‘the larvae of a number of lepidoptera feed on the leaves’
- ‘Spying it on a map, I imagined meadows full of pretty winged lepidoptera.’
- ‘Anyone interested in lepidoptera, entomology, natural history, and probably even art and photography will enjoy the photographs.’
- ‘There's already an impressive count of spiders and beetles and bees and wasps, not to mention a whole sub-section of the local lepidoptera.’
- ‘Small flowers and red petals suggest pollination by small diptera or lepidoptera, but the flowers do not appear to produce nectar.’
- ‘Defoliation by lepidoptera can induce cyanogenesis in some plants resulting in cyanide levels high enough to kill cattle.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek lepis, lepid- scale + pteron wing.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.