One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A common greenish-brown North American frog which has dark leopard-like spots with a pale border.
- ‘On wildlife refuges in Arizona where Schwalbe studies the amphibian, bullfrogs have nearly eliminated the Mexican garter snake and the Chiricahua leopard frog.’
- ‘The Berkeley team now reports similar laboratory results in two U.S. species, the leopard frog and the Pacific tree frog.’
- ‘Wild-caught, subadult northern leopard frogs were obtained from Kons Scientific Company (Germantown, Wisconsin) and maintained on a diet of laboratory-raised crickets.’
- ‘The grassy banks were hosting swarms of young two - to three-inch leopard frogs - typical in wet years of many ponds scattered across south and southeast Texas.’
- ‘Hayes's lab showed that minute amounts of atrazine, a nearly ubiquitous herbicide, can derail reproduction in natural populations of leopard frogs by causing males to make eggs.’
- ‘Competition in the absence of caged predators was asymmetric; when reared separately, leopard frogs grew more than wood frogs, but when competing (without predators), wood frogs grew faster than leopard frogs.’
- ‘I observed wood frogs 38 times and leopard frogs 28 times during all daylight hours.’
- ‘On June 14, we proposed to list the Chiricahua leopard frog as threatened due to the effects of non-native predators, disease, habitat loss, and potential natural events, such as floods and drought.’
- ‘During annual summer visits to his uncle's house in Vermont, John DeLeo does a lot of frog hunting (mostly leopard frogs and American toads) in a large pool beside the Green River.’
- ‘The 10% increase in mouth width for wood frogs was relatively large and may be the primary cause of faster growth in wood frogs when competing with leopard frogs in the absence of predators.’
- ‘Hayes' team has also discovered that leopard frogs, native to the United States, living near atrazine-contaminated ponds in the Midwest show the same abnormalities as the atrazine-exposed animals in his lab.’
- ‘On October 9, 1992, 10,000 leopard frogs were killed on the two-mile stretch of four-lane highway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.