One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small East Asian wild cat that has a yellowish-brown coat with black spots and often lives near water.
Felis bengalensis, family Felidae
- ‘Mill, whose surname was Sugden at the time, bought an Asian leopard cat in 1963 when they could still be acquired at some pet shops.’
- ‘Japan's Iriomote cat was recently demoted from a distinct species to an island subspecies of leopard cat.’
- ‘Rangers said afterwards they believed the animal was a leopard cat, barking deer, wild pig or a stray cow - all indigenous animals in Hong Kong's rural areas, the South China Morning Post reported.’
- ‘In Sabah the predators include various birds of prey and small felines, such as marbled cats and leopard cats.’
- ‘Although the leopard cat is distributed widely in south and east Asia, in the Japanese islands the Tsushima leopard cat occurs only on the Tsushima Islands.’
- ‘The Asian leopard cat lineage consisted of the Asian leopard cat, flat-headed cat, fishing cat, and rusty-spotted cat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.