Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of retroviruses producing illnesses characterized by a delay in the onset of symptoms after infection.
- ‘Svendsen and his team approached the problem using a genetically engineered viral structure known as a lentivirus.’
- ‘As long as the HIV lentivirus lived in monkeys, it was not a threat for humans.’
- ‘One feature that distinguishes lentiviruses such as HIV from the other retroviruses is the complexity of the lentiviral genome.’
- ‘Much research in the meantime had been directed to treatments for HLTV - 3 in a futile effort, because it was a lentivirus after all.’
- ‘Can't HIV, which is really a lentivirus, infect non-dividing cells?’
1970s: from Latin lentus slow + virus.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.