One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A high-protein pulse which is dried and then soaked and cooked prior to eating.
- ‘In a saucepan, combine the chicken stock, lentils, thyme, garlic, and bacon.’
- ‘Make sure you clean that mess up afterwards if you're going to cook those lentils there.’
- ‘You sat on wooden benches and ate lentils and brown rice from wooden bowls.’
- ‘Add the water, the bouillon cubes, the lentils, the herbs, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper.’
- ‘Cook lentils over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are tender but not completely cooked.’
- ‘Add lentils, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.’
- ‘When the lentils are cooked, drain them well and add to the tomato sauce.’
- ‘Add the mushroom and lentils, and cook for two minutes.’
- ‘A collection of tender lentils, carrots and cinnamon, roasted beets, fried eggplant and onions, and warm potatoes quickly fill the table.’
- ‘Accompanied by whole grain bread, a soup rich with ingredients such as vegetables, beans, lentils and rice makes a simple wholesome meal.’
- ‘Stir in the garlic and lentils and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.’
- ‘All those beans, chickpeas, lentils and vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, eggplant and onions gave me such gas I was miserable.’
- ‘A variety of lentils exist with colors that range from yellow to red-orange to green, brown and black.’
- ‘Currently, the leading commercial producers of lentils include India, Turkey, Canada, China and Syria.’
- ‘The vegan should use a combination of beans, soy, lentils, nuts and veggies each day to get the complete protein package.’
- ‘Catherine will show you how to cook with beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.’
- ‘Spoon some carrots, lentils, zucchini, buckthornberries, and grapes around the dish.’
- ‘On the bread was a mushy mound of lentils, rice and carrots.’
- ‘As her hand slides into the cool mound of lentils, the camera cuts to her face, which is glowing.’
- ‘It was on a very savoury bed of lentils which had been cooked with bacon and winter vegetables.’
2The plant which yields lentils, native to the Mediterranean and Africa and grown also for fodder.
- ‘Analysis of pollens found in excavations suggest that the earliest vegetal species to be cultivated were pulses - wild peas, lentils, and chick peas.’
- ‘Settlements began to encourage the growth of plants such as barley and lentils and the domestication of pigs, sheep and goats.’
Middle English: from Old French lentille, from Latin lenticula, diminutive of lens, lent- ‘lentil’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.