Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A high-protein pulse which is dried and then soaked and cooked prior to eating.
- ‘As her hand slides into the cool mound of lentils, the camera cuts to her face, which is glowing.’
- ‘Stir in the garlic and lentils and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.’
- ‘It was on a very savoury bed of lentils which had been cooked with bacon and winter vegetables.’
- ‘Add lentils, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.’
- ‘On the bread was a mushy mound of lentils, rice and carrots.’
- ‘Make sure you clean that mess up afterwards if you're going to cook those lentils there.’
- ‘You sat on wooden benches and ate lentils and brown rice from wooden bowls.’
- ‘Add the mushroom and lentils, and cook for two minutes.’
- ‘The vegan should use a combination of beans, soy, lentils, nuts and veggies each day to get the complete protein package.’
- ‘Currently, the leading commercial producers of lentils include India, Turkey, Canada, China and Syria.’
- ‘Accompanied by whole grain bread, a soup rich with ingredients such as vegetables, beans, lentils and rice makes a simple wholesome meal.’
- ‘Cook lentils over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are tender but not completely cooked.’
- ‘Catherine will show you how to cook with beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.’
- ‘Add the water, the bouillon cubes, the lentils, the herbs, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper.’
- ‘A collection of tender lentils, carrots and cinnamon, roasted beets, fried eggplant and onions, and warm potatoes quickly fill the table.’
- ‘When the lentils are cooked, drain them well and add to the tomato sauce.’
- ‘All those beans, chickpeas, lentils and vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, eggplant and onions gave me such gas I was miserable.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine the chicken stock, lentils, thyme, garlic, and bacon.’
- ‘A variety of lentils exist with colors that range from yellow to red-orange to green, brown and black.’
- ‘Spoon some carrots, lentils, zucchini, buckthornberries, and grapes around the dish.’
2The plant which yields lentils, native to the Mediterranean and Africa and grown also for fodder.
- ‘Settlements began to encourage the growth of plants such as barley and lentils and the domestication of pigs, sheep and goats.’
- ‘Analysis of pollens found in excavations suggest that the earliest vegetal species to be cultivated were pulses - wild peas, lentils, and chick peas.’
Middle English: from Old French lentille, from Latin lenticula, diminutive of lens, lent- lentil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.