One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural lentiginesmass noun
A condition marked by small brown patches on the skin, typically in elderly people.‘several members of the family are known to have lentigo’count noun ‘freckling and lentigines’
- ‘The 755 nm wavelength can be used to treat solar lentigines.’
- ‘Although occasionally lentigines are part of a rare genetic syndrome, for the most part they are just isolated and unimportant spots.’
- ‘The best way to prevent lentigines is to stay out of the sun as much as possible.’
- ‘However, some lentigines are associated with systemic abnormalities, in addition to the dermatologic manifestations.’
- ‘Multiple lentigines in the skin, lips, and mucous membranes should raise suspicion for Peutz-Jeghers syndrome.’
Late Middle English (denoting a freckle or pimple): from Latin, from lens, lent- ‘lentil’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.