Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Honduras, equal to 100 centavos.
- ‘On a good day she might make as much as 100 lempiras, but usually more like 40 or 50.’
- ‘He gets into social life, the few extra lempiras a week, the booze, the downward spiral.’
- ‘The teachers are seeking an hourly wage increase of 10.19 lempiras.’
- ‘The land cost us 487500 lempiras.’
- ‘The minimum funeral grant is 250 lempiras if the insured made at least one contribution in the last 6 months.’
Named after Lempira, a 16th-century Indian chieftain who opposed the Spanish conquest of Honduras.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.