Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Honduras, equal to 100 centavos.
- ‘The minimum funeral grant is 250 lempiras if the insured made at least one contribution in the last 6 months.’
- ‘On a good day she might make as much as 100 lempiras, but usually more like 40 or 50.’
- ‘The teachers are seeking an hourly wage increase of 10.19 lempiras.’
- ‘The land cost us 487500 lempiras.’
- ‘He gets into social life, the few extra lempiras a week, the booze, the downward spiral.’
Named after Lempira, a 16th-century Indian chieftain who opposed the Spanish conquest of Honduras.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.