Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Good; pleasant.‘the lekker local flavour of South Africa’
enjoyable, pleasing, pleasurable, nice, agreeable, satisfying, gratifying, welcome, good, acceptable, to one's likingView synonyms
- ‘‘I had a lekker race,’ smiled the likeable athlete who is the son of former SA champions Hugo Myburgh and Hybre de Lange.’
- ‘Anyway, here is my version of Oliver's lekker baked butternut recipe, which I took from his book Cook With Jamie.’
- ‘Yes, it would have been lekker to bring home sackfuls of medals but the reality is that we're only just beginning to produce our great athletes.’
- ‘‘I think it will be lekker to have a go at them after the World Cup,’ Cronje explained.’
- ‘They have extended their upstairs bar and deck and have opened a kitchen up there too, and with a stunning view of the Gonubie bay, it's a lekker spot to enjoy a drink with friends and family.’
- ‘We've got some lekker tourist attractions for you here.’
2Slightly intoxicated.‘the snacks helped keep people only lekker’intoxicated, inebriated, drunken, befuddled, incapable, tipsy, the worse for drink, under the influence, maudlinView synonyms
1Well.‘we got on lekker’
2[as submodifier] Extremely.‘he was lekker drunk’extremely, very, exceedingly, exceptionally, especially, extraordinarily, tremendously, vastly, hugely, abundantly, intensely, acutely, singularly, significantly, distinctly, outstandingly, uncommonly, unusually, decidedly, particularly, eminently, supremely, highly, remarkably, really, truly, mightily, thoroughly, to a fault, in the extreme, extraView synonyms
Afrikaans, from Dutch, literally delicious.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.