Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Albania, equal to 100 qindarkas.
A patch of ground used for communal display in the breeding season by the males of certain birds and mammals, especially black grouse.
- ‘Groups of males form leks, or display grounds in the tundra breeding areas.’
- ‘Males utilize bright mating colorations when displaying on the lek and contribute only genes to their progeny.’
- ‘In those populations, females assemble in courting areas called leks to attract the few males that are flying about.’
- ‘Males gather on a communal breeding ground, or lek, to display for females.’
- ‘Resident males remain on leks throughout the long arctic days.’
verb[NO OBJECT]usually as noun lekking
Take part in a communal display on a lek.‘antelopes mate in lekking grounds’
- ‘Amazingly, from 5,000 to 50,000 males may congregate during lekking, which occurs over a long breeding season in some cichlids.’
- ‘Hermits usually form leks and congregate on traditional lekking grounds, where females visit to choose a mate.’
- ‘If this is so, then a female mating with a lekking male may be avoiding the less healthy males of the population by default.’
- ‘Such simultaneous sampling may be common in lekking and chorusing species, which have been the subjects of many studies of sexual selection.’
- ‘Polyandry in lekking species may also occur if assessment criteria are subject to error, and in less well-understood situations.’
Late 19th century: perhaps from Swedish leka ‘to play’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.