One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Albania, equal to 100 qindarkas.
A patch of ground used for communal display in the breeding season by the males of certain birds and mammals, especially black grouse.
- ‘Groups of males form leks, or display grounds in the tundra breeding areas.’
- ‘Resident males remain on leks throughout the long arctic days.’
- ‘In those populations, females assemble in courting areas called leks to attract the few males that are flying about.’
- ‘Males gather on a communal breeding ground, or lek, to display for females.’
- ‘Males utilize bright mating colorations when displaying on the lek and contribute only genes to their progeny.’
verb[NO OBJECT]usually as noun lekking
Take part in a communal display on a lek.‘antelopes mate in lekking grounds’
- ‘Hermits usually form leks and congregate on traditional lekking grounds, where females visit to choose a mate.’
- ‘Polyandry in lekking species may also occur if assessment criteria are subject to error, and in less well-understood situations.’
- ‘If this is so, then a female mating with a lekking male may be avoiding the less healthy males of the population by default.’
- ‘Amazingly, from 5,000 to 50,000 males may congregate during lekking, which occurs over a long breeding season in some cichlids.’
- ‘Such simultaneous sampling may be common in lekking and chorusing species, which have been the subjects of many studies of sexual selection.’
Late 19th century: perhaps from Swedish leka ‘to play’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.