Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large public building with many different sports and exercise facilities.
- ‘Your local gym or leisure centre may be able to arrange a body composition test.’
- ‘At the moment people from the area have to travel a long way to use a swimming pool or a leisure centre but this project will change all that.’
- ‘We have done a lot of petitioning outside the leisure centre and have so far got 581 signatures.’
- ‘Many of the activities for children at the Olympiad are not run by the leisure centre.’
- ‘Disabled swimmers fear their warm-water pool will be lost under plans for a new leisure centre.’
- ‘Paul has been a member of the leisure centre for a number of years and enjoys his morning gym sessions.’
- ‘The new leisure centre will be funded by developers building on the Spring Gardens site.’
- ‘The leisure centre will also be running a six-week exercise programme to coincide with the bar on cigarettes.’
- ‘People in Chipping Norton are very fortunate to have both an open-air pool and a leisure centre.’
- ‘There will also be a leisure centre with swimming pool and gymnasium.’
- ‘Visit a local leisure centre to investigate sports and team activities to get involved in.’
- ‘They were also able to play football and use the swimming pool and other facilities in the leisure centre.’
- ‘The leisure centre in Donnybrook markets itself on its top-of-the range facilities.’
- ‘Near the museum is the Magnum leisure centre which houses a swimming pool and other sporting activities.’
- ‘The leisure centre is one of three in Uttlesford being built under a Private Finance Initiative.’
- ‘The new leisure centre replaces the municipal baths in the High Street, Thornton Heath.’
- ‘There is also a new leisure centre with a 20-metre pool, a gym and ancillary activities.’
- ‘An investigation was under way last night after 48 people were taken to hospital following a leak of toxic gas at a leisure centre.’
- ‘Always more than just a community leisure centre, the facilities need an overhaul.’
- ‘Tough new powers could be given to police to tackle troublesome youths using a Chelmsford leisure centre as a race track.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.