Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A furnace used for the annealing of glass.→ leer
- ‘Bowman lehrs can be sourced from factories in Pennsylvania in the USA and the Czech Republic.’
- ‘They are then gradually cooled in an annealing oven known as a lehr.’
- ‘The annealing and decorating lehrs are among the best known products of the company.’
- ‘We also do reconstruction and repair of lehrs previously installed by other manufacturers.’
- ‘This system is used in almost all the annealing and decorating lehrs.’
Mid 17th century: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.