Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The legislative body of a country or state.‘the Nevada state legislature passed a law to prohibit dumping of nuclear waste’
local authority, local government, municipal authority, civic authority, legislative body, legislature, administration, executive, chamber, assembly, ministry, governing body, government, parliament, senate, congress, diet, cabinetView synonyms
- ‘It is expected that the draft law will be voted on by the legislature at the end of April.’
- ‘Laws are passed by legislatures on the basis of necessity, rather than morality.’
- ‘In most such countries, abortion laws were formulated by legislatures rather than courts.’
- ‘The workers have threatened to take members of the state legislature to court over the issue.’
- ‘Normally, legislatures permit themselves to draw new district lines once a decade.’
- ‘State legislatures across the nation are debating whether to set up their own voucher options.’
- ‘The outcome will resonate through state legislatures all across the country.’
- ‘The bill passed by the legislature was narrowly tailored to apply only to the one case.’
- ‘That is how the legislature scrutinises the laws the executive intends to pass.’
- ‘We are, in fact, one of the longest continuously operating national legislatures in the world.’
- ‘Not only that, but they benefit from affirmative action in legislatures and the bureaucracy.’
- ‘Acknowledging the legislature did not mean that every law was considered correct.’
- ‘Now the legislature must pass a statute governing the assembly's exercise of power.’
- ‘Congress and state legislatures use such data in making laws governing the nonprofit sector.’
- ‘Laws passed by legislatures are written in general and often vague language.’
- ‘It is the job of Congress and state legislatures to pass laws of general applicability.’
- ‘Members of Congress and state legislatures cast thousands of votes on hundreds of bills each year.’
- ‘About thirty state legislatures and governors had come out in favor of the League.’
- ‘State legislatures are looking at ways to increase state revenues to fill budget deficits.’
- ‘Members of parliament and the state legislatures are selected in democratic elections.’
Late 17th century: from legislation, on the pattern of judicature.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.